Anyone who knows me well knows that I’m a big fan of headbands. I have them in all colors and sizes. I came across some beautiful satin headbands in Sham Shui Po the other day and decided to dive into action and make spring-inspired headbands for my girlfriends’ daughters. Here’s a quick tutorial.
What You Need:
- Plain colored headbands (mine are made of satin)
- Ribbon and flower embellishments
- Swarovski Crystals in colors that match your ribbons
- Textile Glue
- Super Glue
- Wooden clothespins
What To Do:
Note: I’ve made many headband styles with different ribbon embellishments however what I’ll do today is teach you the basics of assembling one so you can apply the techniques to any design that you like.
1. Prepare all your materials on a flat surface.
2. Put a small drop of textile glue in the middle of the back of your ribbon.
3. Place 3 ribbons either in the same color or in assorted colors equidistant apart, starting roughly 2.5″ from the bottom of the head band. Once you’ve glued on one ribbon, take a wooden clothes pin and clasp the pin in the middle of the ribbon while applying equal pressure to all sides.
4. Repeat steps 3 for the other 2 ribbons. Use the toothpick to spread the glue evenly and wipe off excess glue if needed. Leave to dry on a rack so that the headbands are standing upright for 15-20 minutes, then remove the clothespins
5. To add a bit of bling, all you need to do is to take one Swarovski crystal, and using your tweezers and superglue, glue the crystal right in the middle of your ribbon.
6. Repeat step 6 with the other 2 ribbons and let dry for another 15 minutes. Voila – you are all done!