I think tissue paper pom poms are so awesome! I love how they look just like blooming peonies. You can make them into any color and any size, you can arrange them in so many different ways to suit your needs, and they are oh-so-inexpensive. Here are two of the arrangements I have made with mine:
Pom Pom Garland
Simple decorative display arrangement
Also take a look at the set of white ones that I made for a White Bridal Shower.
Ready to give them a try?
What You Need:
- 1 sheet of tissue paper
- 1 floral / thin wire
What To Do:
1. Get your tissue and wire ready – I used the standard bag stuffer tissue available from shops’ gift-wrap supply section. If you buy a big roll of tissue paper, then just measure out your paper to suit the diameter of your pom pom. As for the wire, I’d suggest 6″ for a start and you can trim it down, but this also depends on the size of pom pom you want to make.
2. If you are using the standard store-bought tissue, then fold and cut your tissue into 8 equal pieces. Note that if you are making a bigger pom pom then you may want to prepare more than 8 layers to make your pom pom more full. In my experience, anywhere between 8-12 layers should yield a pretty nice pom pom.
3. Stack your sheets and fold into an accordion, approximately 1-1.5 inch per fold.
4. Taking your piece of wire, fold it in half and wrap around the middle of your closed accordion, twist and secure. Next, trim both ends of your tissue into rounded or pointy shapes (I have done pointy here).
5. Separate and fluff your your layers, and watch your pom pom unfold.
6. Have fun with your pom poms!