Our monthly Sassy Mama collaboration post is here!
Need we say this one more time – summer has arrived! Here is a fun kitchen activity for you and your darling little ones – Fruit Wedge Jello. You can handle the cutting and juicing, while your kids can fill the fruit bowls up with jello. Let your creativity run wild! You can make these in whatever color and fruit combinations you wish – oranges, lemons, limes and strawberries are all great fruit options. Here we are sharing a tutorial using oranges and colors of the rainbow. For your next summer party, why not try making mini “watermelon” slices using lime and red jello? What about lemon on lemon? Or filling a strawberry with jello to make a delightful dessert? Spiking it up with vodka or rum is a sure winner at any summer parties!
What You Need:
- Jello mix
- Muffin molds / tins
- Mixing bowl
What To Do:
1. Have all your ingredients and tools ready.
2. Cut your oranges in halves. You can do it horizontally across the middle as shown, or slice your orange vertically down. I find that slicing vertically down (not shown in the photo here) yields better-looking wedges.
3. Carefully juice your orange halves. You don’t need to juice it too clean, just taking away most of the juice will do for easier de-pulping. Be careful not to poke any holes in orange peel.
4. De-pulp your orange using a large spoon. Do this gently to ensure that you don’t ruin the peel.
5. Prop your orange halves on muffin molds to keep them steady. Prepare your jello mix in a mixing bowl and fill your orange halves. Note that you may wish to add less water than instructed or add gelatin to your jello mix so that you can have a firmer jello.
6. Refrigerate your orange halves for at least 4 hours or until the jello is set. Use a sharp knife to slice. Enjoy!