It was my sister’s birthday and I finally decided to bake a cake for her. She was born in the year of the pig and somehow it’s become a family affair to get her everything “pig-related”. I decided to put on my baking hat and create something special – A Pig In The Mud Birthday Cake. In order to make it a bit more playful, I decided to add a bit of oreo “dirt” to the cake. Read on to find out how I made the rest of the cake… =)
What You Need:
For the Cake
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Oreo whipped cream
30 Oreo cookies
4 1/2 cups whipped cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the decoration
Fondant (pink, black, white)
What To Do:
1. Prepare and bake the Oreo cake and set aside.
2. Prepare the Oreo whipped cream and set aside.
3. Apply the whipped cream mixture onto the cake.
4. Break the Kit-Kats into twos and align them around the cake.
5. Tie a ribbon around the Kit-Kats to hold them in place.
6. Divide the fondant into 5 pink balls in different sizes. The biggest one is for the body of the big. The second largest ball is for the pig’s head. The remaining balls are for the ears and nose. The four tubes are for the limbs. The two white tiny balls are for the eyes.
7. Shape the two small pink balls into a triangular shape for the pig’s ears. Shape the remaining pink ball into a tiny cylinder for the pig’s nose and stick it on to the nose area and poke two holes on the nose. Stick the two white balls onto the eye area.
8. Dent the middle of the two small triangles and stick it onto the head.
9. Add two tiny fondant balls onto the eyes.
10. Insert a toothpick into the center (top to bottom) of the largest pink ball to help hold the pig’s head in place. Insert the pig’s head on to the toothpick.
11. Add a darker shade of pink fondant for the pig’s feet. Slit the end open to create two hooves.
12. Attach the limbs to the body and place the upper body onto the cake.
13. Repeat step 11 for the remaining limbs.
14. Insert a toothpick flag in between the hooves.