Some of you may already know I’m a dog lover. I treat my dogs just like family. My little boy, Cotton, well not so little as you can see in the picture, recently turned 3. Since I baked a cake for my daughter, it would only be fair for me to bake one for him too. I have to admit he is a really picky dog when it comes to food. He doesn’t just eat anything you offer him. However, he finished the cake in no time! I have used two recipes for this cake – a cake recipe and a dog treats recipe. It is nothing complicated and I am sure your little guy or girl will love it just as much as Cotton.
What You Need:
For The Icing
150g Fat-free Cream Cheese
1 small potato
For the Peanut Butter & Bacon Dog Treats (For Decoration)
This amount of ingredients will allow you to make more dog treats than you need for the decoration. Store the extras in a sealed container for up to a week.
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 large egg
1/2 cup water
1 carrot, chopped
2-3 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
1 cup oat flour
1 cup wheat flour (or white flour)
For the Cake
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup whole wheat flour (or white flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine (ingredients for the cake) the egg, peanut butter, oil, vanilla, and honey in a large bowl. Stir in the carrots and mix throughly. Sift together the flour and baking soda and fold into the carrot mixture.
- Spoon cake batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine (ingredients for the dog treats) peanut butter, honey, egg, water, carrot and bacon. Sift together the oat flour and wheat flour to form a dough.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out in any shape cookie cutter, I have used a dog bone shaped cookie cutter here and rolled some small balls to decorate the cake. Bake for 20 -25 minutes and let it cool.
- Boil potato until soft and mash it. Blend in cream cheese and mix well.
- Spread the icing on the cake, try to smooth the surface with your knife.
- Decorate your cake with the cookies you baked.
- Melt some carob chips and use it to write on the cake as desired.