We’re celebrating “Back To School” month and what better way to get your kids excited about their first day of school by doing a few D.I.Y. projects with them with their new school gear! From backpack decorating to personalizing notebooks and pencil cases, there are numerous ways to craft with your kids right before the school year begins. To start off with, we decided to get creative with decorating and personalizing your child’s backpack.
What You Need:
- Solid Colored Back Pack
- Iron On Patch
- Fabric Glue
- Swarovski Crystals
- Rhinestone Setter
- Letter & Ribbon Embellishments
- Strawberry and Bell Charms
- Clear ID Card Holder
What to Do (Part 1):
1. Prepare all your materials in advance
2. Position your Iron-On Patch onto your backpack
3. Using medium heat, gently press your iron onto the patch and hold down for a few seconds at a time. Check periodically to ensure that the heat transfer temperature is not too hot. Once the patch is sealed on, you’re all set. Let dry.
4. Using your fabric glue and tweezers, neatly glue on your ribbon embellishments onto your backpack.
5. Next, using your needle and thread, carefully sew on your child’s name or last name (totally up to you) onto the bag to give it a personalized feel.
6. Voila – there you have it.
What To Do (Part 2):
Should you want to take it a step further and add a few more decorations to your bag, you can follow the next 6 steps:
1. Prepare your colored Swarovski rhinestones and rhinestone setter.
2. Using the base of your rhinestone setter, carefully position where you would like to set your rhinestone on your backpack.
3. Turn your backpack inside out, and using the pen tip and rhinestone clasp, make sure the claws of your clasp is facing downwards and gently press down towards a flat surface. Your rhinestones will be set perfectly.
4. Using a clear ID card holder, add some cute background paper to the inner lining. If you have some old charms and bells, neatly thread the charms onto the chain.
5. Attach the ID holder to either of the straps on the backpack.
6. Finally, you can add a ribbon and strawberry charm to the zippers to give the backpack an even more personal touch.
And there you have it! 🙂