I have seen finger puppets on sale in many kids stores in town, and being a self-proclaimed D.I.Y. enthusiast, I have always wanted to make my own for my little baby. Finally over the past week, I decided to pick up some felt sheets and get down to work! I have read that babies can be stimulated by bright and contrasting colors, so I made sure that my little monsters are cheerfully colorful. The beauty of making “little monsters” as opposed to making a certain animal or cartoon character is that you can let your creativity take the lead and make it as fun as you want them to be. Nothing is more satisfying and delightful than hearing my baby’s laugh when he sees these puppets! I just had to be very careful to not let him snatch them off my fingers and put them in his mouth!
What You Need:
- Felt sheets in various colors
- Needle and thread
- A pair of eyes
- Fabric glue
What To Do:
1. I chose very bright colored felt because I want my little monsters to be colorful and happy. I chose a red colored thread for the contrast. Big eyes would make your monster even cuter, I think.
2. On a sheet of paper, measure and outline the size of your puppet base.
3. Cut out the puppet base and trace the outline on 2 felt sheets.
4. If you wish, you can also outline the ears, hair, other body parts for your puppet on a piece of paper first. Cut out your puppet parts.
5. Sew the 2 pieces of puppet base together.
6. Assemble your little monster using fabric glue, and have fun with your little one!