I wanted to make some felt strawberries for my baby girl to play with and needed a container to store them. So I picked up a box of strawberries, used them for a very simple mexican dessert – chimichangas – and kept the box to store the ‘strawberries’. This recipe is very simple and you can probably whip something in about 15 minutes. If you are having a Mexican night, why not wrap the night up with this simple and delicious strawberry cheesecake chimichangas? You can also easily turn these into finger desserts by using a smaller tortillas.
Stay tuned for my upcoming felt strawberries post!
What You Need:
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 (8-inch) soft flour tortillas
- 1 3/4 cups sliced strawberries, divided
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Vegetable oil, for frying
What To Do:
1. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with the sour cream, 2 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla extract.
2. Fold 1 cup of the sliced strawberries into the mixture.
3. Spoon a small portion of the mixture in the lower third of the tortilla.
4. Fold the two sides of each tortilla toward the center and then roll the tortilla up like a burrito (you can use a toothpick to secure it).
5. Repeat step 3 – 4 with the rest of the tortillas and deep dry them until golden brown. Flip them as needed.
6. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Roll the chimichangas in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.